Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Christmas Eve devotion

It's 1:22 as I type this (sorry this is technically a day late!) and I guess some things never change- I still can't sleep on Christmas Eve. Although I know Santa isn't real and there isn't anything specific I'm hoping to unwrap, the excitement still gets to me. I hope all of your Christmas eve's were wonderful! And if they weren't, I'm sorry. Tomorrow is a new day to celebrate. I spent the whole day with my beautiful family. My message for tonight is simple and sweet: focus on what's important tomorrow. I know we hear this every year, but brother and sisters in Christ, I urge you to keep your mind set on what Christmas really is. My devotional puts this well for today's word:

"Try to imagine what I gave up when I came into your world as a baby. I set aside my glory, so that I could identify with mankind. I accepted the limitations of infancy under the most appalling conditions- a filthy stable. That was a dark night for me, even though angels lit up the sky proclaiming "Glory!" to awestruck shepherds.

When you sit quietly with me, the process I went through is reversed in your experience. As you identify with me, heaven's vistas open up before you- granting you glimpses of my glory.  I became poor so that you might become rich. Sing hallelujah's to my holy name!

As you celebrate the wonder of my birth in Bethlehem, celebrate also your rebirth into eternal life. This everlasting gift was the sole purpose of my entering your sin-stained world. Receive my gift with awe and humility. Take time to explore the vast dimensions of my love. Allow thankfulness to flow freely from your heart in response to my glorious gift. Let my peace rule in your heart, and be thankful."

I cannot stress enough the importance of identifying tomorrow with Christ. Not with presents, or trees, or candy, or Santa, or pajamas, or family. Because you might not get that present you wanted. And you might not have family to celebrate with. Jesus is what you should be celebrating tomorrow. Excitement for presents and the upcoming day are normal and nothing to be ashamed of, but you should take quiet time tomorrow to thank The Lord for everything you received. Whether you receive 20 gifts tomorrow or 2, remind yourself that you already have the best gift of all- Christ. I pray all of you enjoy your day tomorrow! Thanks for your patience and I'm sorry they've been lacking lately- the Christmas season business has taken it's toll on me! Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment